Lobster mushroom rolls are a solid way to enjoy your harvest.
Lobster rolls are usually a pretty simple thing: really fresh lobster, mayonnaise, and maybe some chives or celery, since it’s all about the lobster. But lobster mushroom rolls, if they’re going to taste like anything, need some extra attention, lobster mushrooms having a much lighter flavor than true lobster.
To make lobster mushroom rolls, I cook some diced lobster mushrooms in a good amount of oil, cool, then mix the mushrooms and the resulting colored and flavored oil with a healthy amount of chopped fresh herbs, mayonnaise and or sour cream, lemon, a dash of hot sauce, and a bit of celery for texture. Then I stuff it in a toasted bun–that’s the whole recipe. For the record, in my world, if someone tells you it’s fine to not toast your buns, that person is not your friend. Buns are almost always toasted or griddled in my world, with few exceptions.
The end result will look a bit like curried mushroom salad, the color coming from the lobster mushrooms colorful reaction that stains the oil yellow, a bit like paprika. They’re deliciously rich, and the perfect sort of thing for a warm summer evening after a day of hunting.
As lobsters have a relatively short shelf life, make sure to eat the salad within a few days.
Lobster Mushroom Rolls
- 1 lb lobster mushrooms diced ½ inch
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Lobster mushroom salad
- ½ cup mayonaise or half mayo and half sour cream
- Fresh lemon zest to taste—a few good scrapes
- Fresh lemon juice a few dashes to taste
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite herbs chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives to garnish
- 2 tablespoons ¼ inch diced celery
- ¼ cup ¼ inch diced green onion
- ½ teaspoon sriracha or other hot sauce
- Potato chips for serving
- Your favorite hot dog buns for serving
- Unsalted butter as needed for toasting the buns
- Sweat the lobster mushrooms with the oil and salt on medium high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until they’ve released their water and are staring to brown. Add the garlic and smoked paprika to the pan, stir for a minute, then transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl, scraping to harvest the residual oil. Cool the mushrooms.
- When the mushrooms are cool, mix them with the lobster salad ingredients, then serve on the hot dog buns that you’ve spread generously with butter and griddled/toasted, with potato chips on the side.
- Just before serving generously season the lobster salad with cut chives.