With their giant yolks, duck eggs make a fantastic pasta dough. If you can make regular pasta, you owe it to yourself to try one made with duck eggs.
A simple pasta dough I used in my "swamp pasta": duck egg spaghetti with cattail pollen butter sauce, shoot relish and marigolds. It's just a simple pasta dough flavored with foraged bergamot (Monarda fistulosa) and creeping charlie (Glechoma hederacea).
Duck Egg Pasta with Herbs
Rich pasta made from duck eggs, and flavored with your favorite herbs. Makes 1 lb of pasta dough.
Servings: 4 Servings
- Pasta roller
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 2 cups OO flour or all purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped herbs like parsley, chives, tarragon and thyme
- 2 medium sized duck eggs
- a teaspoon or so of water to help the dough come together you may not need it
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, combine the flour, eggs, chopped herbs and salt. Mix on low speed, until a stiff dough forms, about 10 minutes, if the dough refuses to come together, continue mixing, adding a teaspoon of water at 4-5 minute intervals.
- You shouldn't need to add any water to this recipe, but duck eggs can sometimes vary drastically in size, which means that the amount of water-containing white can vary greatly, which will affect how much water, if any you need to add to the dough. Remove the dough and wrap in plastic, then allow to rest for 15 minutes before rolling out.
Herbs to useI used wild herbs here like bergamot and creeping charlie and they're not quite as strong as other fresh herbs you might find in a store or in a garden. Since it might be hard to find some of the herbs I use, I recommend using a mix of parsley, chives, oregano tarragon, chervil, thyme, lemon thyme, savory or other soft herbs. I don't recommend rosemary.
Serving: 3oz | Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 309mg | Sodium: 343mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0.5g | Vitamin A: 236IU | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 4mg
Leave a Reply