Black Walnut Maple Honey
- Small saucepan, Metal mixing bowl
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (1/2 cup brown sugar can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 large egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (2oz) dry white wine
- 1 oz black walnuts lightly toasted and crushed
- 1/2 oz unsalted butter
- Bring the maple syrup to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce it by 1/3, then whisk with remaining ingredients. Don't worry about the butter, it will melt as the sauce cooks.
- Put the mixture in a metal mixing bowl above (not touching) simmering water, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens and the egg has activated.
- Cool, cover, and refrigerate.
- If the sauce tightens in the fridge a bit, a splash of lemon juice will refresh it.