Less is more here: a simple recipe for the delicious, yard loving fairy ring mushroom. There’s just something about how angel hair pasta soaks up a little sauce like this, the small size of the mushrooms is perfect for a noodle like this too. Yellowfoot chanterelles would make a great substitute, too.
Capellini With Fairy Ring Mushroom Sauce
- 2 ounces fairy ring mushroom caps cleaned
- 4 ounces dried angel hair pasta my favorite brand is Rustichella d'Abruzzo
- 1 tablespoon shallot diced 1/8 in
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or other poultry stock preferably homemade
- Bring a few quarts of salted water to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter on medium heat.
- Add the fairy rings to the pan and cook for a few minutes to brown them, then season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the chicken stock. Bring the water to a boil, add the pasta and stir thoroughly to prevent clumping.
- Cook the pasta to al dente, then add to the pan with the mushrooms.
- Cook the mixture for another minute or two, add the remaining butter and stir to make a creamy sauce, finish with the garlic chives at the last minute, double check the seasoning for salt and pepper then divide the pasta between two warmed bowls and serve immediately.